[K12OSN] IE requirement

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon May 24 14:23:48 UTC 2004

Tell your developers that rather than 'standardizing' on IE, they should code to
W3C (www.w3c.org) standards.  That way you're not subjugating yourselves to the
whims of any one vendor, even an open-source one.  You might point out that the
only reason the web caught on so quickly was because it *didn't* require users
to have one brand of software, it just required software (a browser) written to
those public, non-proprietary standards.  Matter of fact, in the '80s, what you
had WAS online services that required you to use their client and only their
client.  And guess what, those services didn't interoperate with each other
because the vendors wanted to keep you in their system.  Writing to proprietary
specs is very easy to get into--vendors go to great pains to make it that way.
By that same token, they make it very difficult to get out of those proprietary
way of doing things, which is good for them but bad for you.

Tell them to look at is this way: If MS's file formats for Word, Excel, etc.,
were completely open, such that OpenOffice.org could access them through
published specs rather than reverse engineering the format, MOST people,
businesses, and organizations could switch and save themselves a ton of money.
But since those formats are proprietary, switching would be difficult for many.
That's what keeps people in MS land.  Compare this to, say, ftp, where the
particular client doesn't matter to the server you connect to.  You can switch
ftp clients if you ever want to, quite easily.  What your developers are
proposing is locking themselves into technology that will be difficult to get
out of, and locking themselves out of new developments in Web technology that
inevitably will be coming down the road.

(I run into the same mentality at my employer.  Sheesh.  Don't these people know
anything of computing history of the past forty years, or even ten years?)

</rant>

As to your original question, the current version of CrossOver Office, 3.0, does
a pretty good job of running IE, including automatically downloading and
installing IE 6, whcih then seems to run quite well on Linux.  I've been testing
it here in my office, where some of our internal websites work only with IE.
The latest CXO release so far has had no problems, whereas the previous 2.x
version mostly worked but broke on some javascript used on our sites.  CXO also
works well in a LTSP environment, as the folks as CrossOver are big proponents
of it.  Full disclosure: The president of CodeWeavers is a friend of mine, but
mostly that just means I follow their activities closely.

Petre