[K12OSN] Re: Wins

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Tue May 25 12:49:42 UTC 2004

"Joe Faletra" <jfaletra at sau16.org> writes:
>David was right BUT  the account has to already exist in the user
>accounts list.  (Dave probably already knew this and assumed I did too!)

Whoops....sorry...skipped that step.  ;-)  As for the profile....have you
created the profiles directory?  if not...do this

mkdir /opt/samba
mkdir /opt/samba/profiles
mkdir /opt/samba/netlogon
chmod 1777 /opt/samba/profiles

Some people choose to put the profiles directory in the home dir
"/home/samba/profiles"  I find this to be more dangerous....so I do it the
way I put above

Also don't forget the profiles share in smb.conf.  Mine looks like this...
(I included the homes share and netlogon as well).....remember....any
logon script like netlogon.bat MUST be created on a DOS machine (aka
Windows Notepad)

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        writeable = yes
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 0775
        browseable = Yes

[netlogon]
        comment = Network Logon Service
        path = /opt/samba/netlogon

[profiles]
        path = /opt/samba/profiles
        writeable = yes
        writeable = yes
        browseable = yes
        create mode = 0644
        directory mode = 0755

(from my samba/ldap how-to located at  http://web.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/linux )
Mandatory profiles
The mandatory profile is created the same way as the roaming profile. The
difference is
that this profile is made ‘read only’ by the administrator so that the
user can have only one fixed profile on the domain.
To do so, rename the file NTuser.dat to NTuser.man (for MANdatory
profile), and remove the right access bit. For our testsmbuser1 user,
you’ll have to do:
mv /opt/samba/profiles/testsmbuser1/NTUSER.DAT
/opt/samba/profiles/testsmbuser1/NTUSER.MAN
chmod -w /opt/samba/profiles/testsmbuser1/NTUSER.MAN
A Mandatory profile allows you to set up a common user profile for every
user on the Domain
useful to give everyone a common starting point or for
specifying specific settings without having to do so for each user.

An even better way is on the E-Smith forums at www.contribs.org  I asked
the question two years ago about making mandatory profiles....search the
forum, but in a nutshell....you make a perfect user on an XP
machine....then in the netlogon share I had you create above....you make a
folder named "default user"...then copy the entire profile directory from
the XP machine to that share....and voila!  You have your common starting
point for all users.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School