[K12OSN] Re: [Ltsp-discuss] speed

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Wed May 12 23:11:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 13:02, jef peeraer wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 May 2004 06:08, Sudev Barar wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 07:29, Chris Berry wrote:
> > > How much do you think disk speed affects the latency, and is it worth it
> > > to use 15k rpm scsi disks instead of 10k rpm.  Will we notice serious
> > > speed loss using IDE for 2 or 3 clients, or only when we start loading
> > > up more?
> >
> > I am running one system on IDE one on SATA and more on SCSI. Always with
> > more clients coming in (beyond 10+ concurrent) latency starts becoming
> > apparent and irritating as more clients become concurrent.
> > Two systems that are on SCSI today I used RAID0 on two IDE's to solve
> > part of the problem and although there was improvement in read / writes
> > as shown by hdparm it was still not good enough. SATA is much better but
> > no where near SCSI.
> > Lot of discussions on this can be dug up in archives of the list. As far
> > as two three clients as proof of concept the current hardware is okay.
> what about these 10000 rpm sata drives . will they be sufficient for 10 +
> loads ?
>
> jef
Others have spoken.
Technically it is IDE-PATA for traditional drives and IDE-SATA for
serial drives. ;-) (me throwing in jargon!!)
Coming to your original intention. Right now IDE is okay for demo. Would
still recommend two SCSI from personal experience and advice that can be
found on the list archives for production server.
To recall in brief jury is still out on SATA as there are improvements
taking place on this technology. SCSI are more efficient as I/O requests
can be multi-queued and not single queued as in IDE's either PATA or
SATA.
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux