[K12OSN] Joining XP system to Samba

Bert Rolston bert.rolston at clear.net.nz
Wed May 19 21:39:14 UTC 2004

Hi Joe,

I know this isn't exactly what is required but it worked for some NT
boxes I had.

Add the other XP specific suggestions and you should get the desired
result.

Keep this in mind. I did this on my home machine, which is behind a
firewall.

1) I disabled the firewall on the server (see note above). I know that
SMB uses a particular port, but can't remember it / can't be bothered
finding out which one it is at present.

2) I added the following line/s to the smb.conf file. This is for samba
2.x.x (thanks to one of the other list users)

#!!!! one line added for XP Pro
    add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c
'Machine Account' -s /bin/false -M %u

This allowed the NTW machines to see mine.

I use WEBMIN a lot for admin purposes. It has all of the tools in one
place. As an ex-novell CNA I appreciate this.

There is a Samba Machine accounts module available for Webmin now. I've
used it and it seems to work well.

HTH

Bert