OT?? Re: [K12OSN] Loosing access to master password

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Fri May 21 01:38:51 UTC 2004

Sudev Barar <sudev at mantraonline.com> wrote:

Now it makes me wonder what prevents a "innovative" user to do the same
and control the server? Can these method be blocked?
<<

BIOS lock password
Boot loader (e.g. GRUB) password

Of course the boot off knoppix (similar) can never be blocked.
<<

Yes it can, if the BIOS boot sequence is not changeable (i.e. BIOS password
protected) or, better still, the CD-ROM drive and floppy are removed.

Of course, give me physical access and I can get past most things - but if
the chassis is locked, I'm pretty much stopped in my tracks as I can't get
access to the mobo battery to reset the BIOS password.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]