[K12OSN] Wish list

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Nov 3 19:27:43 UTC 2004

>   * Local drive support (usb devices, floppy, cdrom)
>   * Low bandwidth (NX, FreeNX)
>   * Other non-x86 architectures for LTSP thin clients
>     (PPC,Sparc,StrongArm)

These are the items I find most intriguing.

Local USB drive support is a must in my mind.  Not all students and
staff understand working with a server, and a local USB drive that
automatically mounts for file transfer would solve a lot of
problems/questions.

Lower bandwidth?  Sounds like a no brainer even if to only gain less
traffic on a local network.  Access from home, better yet.

I have about 20 schools in my area that have nothing but Macs from Bondi
233Mhz iMacs to new 1Ghz G4 iMacs.  I would love to be able to go into
those schools and tell them there would be no problem using their
existing hardware in an LTSP environment.  Through the help of yourself
and Shawn Powers we have a workaround (Chubby clients), but to use them
as actual thin clients out of the box (even if there was a packaged
image to extract to the HD) would be awesome and really help my cause
here.  Otherwise I can't get them to switch.  The way it is now, if a
mac dies, they buy another one.  If we had the macs die in an LTSP
environment, they could slowly migrate to all x86 machines without
noticing any difference.

---