[K12OSN] Has anyone used Zope with Apache as Frontend

Tom Hoffman tom.hoffman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 21:52:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:06:46 -0800 (PST), Jennifer Waters
<watersjenusa2002 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would like to know if anyone has used Zope with
> Apache as a Frontend?  I am interested because I think
> I understand that you can have interactive web pages.
> Where someone can make changes from anywhere in the
> world.  Interested to know if it is similiar to having
> PHP and MySQL?

I've used Apache as a front end to Zope.  Generally this just means
that Apache redirects requests to the Zope web server.  You can think
of Zope as a self-contained system that encompasses what
Apache/PHP/MySQL do in combination.  You're probably specifically
interested in Plone (http://plone.org), which is a content management
system built on top of Zope.  Compared to most similar PHP CMS's,
Plone is more oriented toward the needs of primarily brick and mortar
enterprises like schools.  I'd recommend that you kick the tires at
plone.org their demo site.  If you want to get serious about it, I
*strongly* recommend buying the recently published Definitive Guide to
Plone.

--Tom