[K12OSN] Re: [Ltsp-discuss] When will Redhat's K12LTSP releaseiso's for x86-64?

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Nov 10 02:46:18 UTC 2004

Jim Kronebusch wrote:

>>3.)  Another option would be to load the x86-64 version of
>>any GNU/Linux
>>distro (FC3, SuSE, etc.) and install LTSP on it.  Though
>>others on this
>>list may shout gloom and doom at the very notion of
>>installing LTSP, I
>>can assure you, from experience, that it isn't very hard at all.  The
>>new LTSP installer, while I haven't yet given it a spin,
>>looks like it
>>makes it even easier than before.
>>

>The only Doom and Gloom I have had with it is it doesn't seem as
>complete.  If I remember most of the Edutainment programs are missing by
>default.  But it was easy to install the couple times I tried it.  I
>just wish it was as all inclusive of an add-on as what comes with the
>K12LTSP bundle.

I guess it depends on who your audience is.  For middle and high school
students, you probably don't need them.  My middle school kids, as an
example, use OO.o, Mozilla and/or Firefox, and the GIMP.  They really
don't need more than that to do their classwork.  Thus, LTSP would be
just as fine for them as K12LTSP.  If you're dead-set on these
"edutainment" programs, then perhaps you might want to stick with the
32-bit K12LTSP instead of going for 64 bits.  Again, that hot new
Opteron server will handle 32-bit systems just fine...and fast as all
heck, too.

I guess I keep coming back to Paul Nelson's comment about Reader Rabbit
and similar software ("I just don't think we need to go there.").  I've
asked this before, because I'd really like to know:  can some of the
teachers on the list here clarify to me why the like of Reader Rabbit is
deemed "necessary" these days?  I ask because I and the other kids in my
school learned just fine the "old-fashioned" way, that is, with actual
books, back when Reader Rabbit, etc. didn't yet exist.

Thanks,

--TP