[K12OSN] Why Linux?

Ken Grant kmgrant at actaccess.net
Fri Nov 5 05:44:05 UTC 2004

I am working on setting up my first K12LTSP server for a local private
school.  Besides not having a great deal of money for IT, they also have
no one on staff with IT experience.  Therefore they need a system that
is very low maintenance.

Right now the have a collection of Win2K machines that always require
work.  In my opinion, this is one of the main reasons to move to LTSP.
When we are done, we will have 40 clients that don't have to be
defraged; have their drives checked for integrity; cleaned of viruses,
spy-ware, and malware, or be backed up.  This will add greatly to the
reliability and performance of their network.  And as was mentioned
earlier, the student can sit down at any workstation and begin working
on their documents and every night all the documents will be backed up.

While money is the primary motivator for moving to Linux, you need to
remember that you do not need to worry constantly about being in
compliance with License Agreements.  Linux frees you up to use
technology in wonderful and innovative ways.  It removes a major
maintenance and compliance headache.

Cheers,
Ken