[K12OSN] Data Collection and analysis

David Tisdell penguintiz at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 19:27:23 UTC 2004

Hi all,
Our school is interested in collecting data in 2 ways:
1) On paper fill in the "bubbles" next to the
question. The sheets would then get processed through
a scanner which would tabulate results in a database
for further analysis.
2) Via a web interface - click on the radio buttons
and submit the form to the database for further
analysis

Scantron has been recommended: www.scantron.com
Are they the only game in town? We are a multiplatform
school. The web collection method seems pretty
straight forward but the creation tools are Windows
only.
It also sends the data to an Access database. I am not
sure that is the best way to go. As we are being asked
to collect more and more data and send much of it off
to government agencies, I think we are quickly
outgrowing tools like Access and Filemaker and should
be using enterprise class databases for greater
flexibility and interoperability. I don't want to be
part of implementing an expensive product only to see
we have outgrown it in a short period of time.
I would rather see something that is multiplatform and
very flexible that will serve us for a long time to
come (and opensource). Are there other products that
do this or is scantron the best or only game in town?
Thanks
Dave