[K12OSN] StarOffice Net installation

george kocke webmaster at vol.org
Tue Oct 19 16:11:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 10:27, Liam Marshall wrote:

> I appreciate the point to the scripts, but I don't quite understand how
> to modify them to fit my situation involving staroffice.

> Also did you set up a default user and install all these programs that
> you use, and then not touch it, except for these scripts?

Yes, I have a user called "golden" that I use to set up programs like
OpenOffice, Mozilla, etc.

The last script on that page is the GDM default login script. Basically,
when a user logs in, it checks for the existence of the .soffice
directory in that user's home directory. If it is not there, the script
copies it from /home/golden/.soffice to the user's home directory. It
also changes ownership of the .soffice directory tree and changes the
string "golden" to the username of the user wherever it finds it. This
script does the same for other programs such as Mozilla.

The other scripts (golduser, goldmember) allow me to remove the .soffice
(and .mozilla, etc.) directories from users or entire groups so that
they'll get the current version at login.

In addition, if users discover that OpenOffice or Mozilla are not
running properly, they can "uninstall" them by a menu option that
deletes .soffice or .mozilla depending on the script run. The software
will get "reinstalled" the next time they log in.

There may be better ways of doing this, but my scripts work for me.

--
george kocke <webmaster at vol.org>