[K12OSN] OT building to building ethernet wiring

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Oct 19 21:20:52 UTC 2004

> Jim,
> 	What is your opinion on splicing connectors on the end of fiber?
> Is this something end users can now do, or is it still something
> best left to a professional splicer?  Also FYI, I found a trendware
> transciever for $62 http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?
sku=10333171&loc=101&sp=1

> Thanks,
>
> Dale

I have actually put a lot of fiber ends on our multi-mode around campus for
both data and for our Dynacom/Safari video system.  I have done it enough to
know that if you haven't done it before, don't plan on doing it much in the
future, and don't have the equipment, just drop the money and have a
professional do it.  It takes kind of a knack to get used to it.  I toasted
a lot of hot melt connectors before I finally figured it out.  You need a
tool to strip the shielding off down to the small .005" glass fiber (about
the size of a strand of dark hair).  You need a kit to hold the hot melt
connectors and heat them up while you insert the fiber.  After removing the
tip from the heater and letting it cool you need to use an eye piece and
carefully break the protruding glass off just out outside the porcelain tip
of the connector.  Then with a couple grits of polishing cloth and a tip
holder that keeps the porcelain perpendicular to the world you need to
slowly polish the protruding glass fiber flush and clean.  You will need a
magnification device with lighting shining on the tip to be sure you have a
concentric set of perfect circles in the center part of the porcelain tip.
The smaller darker circle will be the glass and the outer circle will be the
melt.  Maybe there are better ways to do this but this is how the kit I got
ahold of works.  If your circles are oblong and/or rough/scratched you will
have connectivity problems.  With that said I'll leave it up to you.