[K12OSN] Personal web pages for students

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 02:49:29 UTC 2004

Configuring Apache's userdir module is pretty easy.  Giving students
an easy way to move data there is less simple.  I'd say you want to
configure Samba, FTP and maybe WebDAV (another apache module) to let
students move stuff there.  Those things aren't that hard either,
until you try to deal with administering accounts for everyone and
have a centralized authentication scheme.

I consider file sharing and system backups the two essential services
that a school (and especially university) should provide.  Strangely,
few actually do it.  This is especially true because the people who
could make file sharing easily available have their own drives (and
aren't forced to use public machines in labs).  The result?  A normal
person is expected to FTP their files to a workstation, work on them
there, and FTP them back when they're done.  This alone is reason
enough to move to LTSP.

And don't get me started on authentication.  My university has 3
password databases and that includes only the ones that *everyone* has
access to.

To provide a place to post web pages for a class full of 5th graders
is easy.  To do it for a university is a non-trivial task.  I don't
believe that having an unlimited budget to pay for software licenses
makes any difference.