[K12OSN] Script Error with file names that have spaces

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Sep 1 15:12:08 UTC 2004

A while back I was provided the following script for changing
permissions on files:
#!/bin/bash
for file in /home/Drop/*
do owner=$(ls -ld $file|awk '{print $3}')
chown -R $owner $file
Done

Now I am running into problems with it not knowing how to handle files
with spaces in them such as "my homework" instead of "myhomework".  Now
I know that if I run the commands manually at a command line I am able
to contain the filename in quotes to solve this but I don't know how to
incorporate that into this script.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
507-453-5188