[K12OSN] upgrade 4.0.1 to 4.1

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Sep 7 06:06:00 UTC 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, norbert wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Just a quick question, is it better to reinstall or is it "safe" to
>upgrade from 4.0.1 to 4.1

All upgrades carry a degree of risk. That is why you should ALWAYS
have good, proven backups before making any major software changes.

The biggest thing to watch out for between 4.0.x and 4.1.x is that
the former uses a 2.4 kernel and the later a 2.6 kernel. There is
the possibility that hardware that runs fine on a 2.4 kernel may
not work with a 2.6 kernel. I have one system with a funky SCSI
RAID card that falls into this category.

If you use third-party software, binary-only drivers, etc, etc,
you will also need to make sure those will run on FC2.

That said, I've done quite a few successful upgrades to 4.1. On one
or two systems I've upgraded from 3.1 to 4.1 w/o a major issue.

-Eric