[K12OSN] Something slowing me down...how can I measure?

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Thu Sep 9 01:46:26 UTC 2004

David Trask wrote:

>I believe I'm using the 2.6 kernel.  Any suggestions on what to look for to tweak my speed a little more?

Here is a line to add to /etc/modprobe.conf which is known to help
mozilla/firefox performance on 2.6 kernel:
alias net-pf-10 off
It turns off ipv6, but unlike most Linux configuration changes YOU HAVE
TO REBOOT for it to take effect.

Here are some lines I add to /etc/sysctl.conf that can affect some
network applications, and one just for security...
# Disable TCP ECN which some routers and servers cannot handle.
net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0

# Disable TCP window scaling which some routers and firewalls cannot handle.
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0

# Disable response to broadcast icmp echo requests.
net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts = 1

The reboot for the modprobe.conf change will pick up these changes too,
or you can activate them immediately:
sysctl -p

Let me know if those help.
Chris