[K12OSN] CPU usage way up! What to do?

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Fri Sep 10 18:41:07 UTC 2004

Hi all,

My performance at this point is acceptable, but not as fast as last
year.....trying to find out why.  I'm using K12LTSP 4.1 (FC2) on a server
with dual Xeon 2.x ghz CPU's and 4 gb. RAM...etc....etc.  Using gkrellm
with the CPU usage set to show "composite"....my CPU usage stays at 90%
and higher when students are using the machines.  Granted if no one is
doing anything the CPU usage is in the single digits, but once they start
using FireFox....OO...or anything else for the most part....the graph goes
WAY up and stays there.  Using "top" doesn't seem to point out any
particular hogs, but then again I'm not great at reading "top".  Network
bandwidth seems OK....I think it's CPU time that's killing me.  When I
show "real CPU's" then four of them show up....I'm assuming that's normal
for a dual processor machine.  I'd be curious to see how the 4.1 version
with fc2 stacks up against the new WBEL version Eric posted.
Unfortunately I'll need to "mondo" my server so I can go back to it if
need be.  In the meantime....got any suggestions for me to try?

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us