[K12OSN] Appletalk and K12LTSP

Heath Henderson hendersonh at unit5.org
Wed Sep 29 19:06:13 UTC 2004

Check this one out.  Do you have your afpd.conf file hard coded or is it
picking up the machine/workstation name and trying to register that.

Make sure of two things.

hard code the server name in your afpd.conf

mine looks like this.

IMGSRVR -tcp -noddp -port 12000 10.xx.xx.x -nopassword

I also have an entry in my /etc/hosts file with 10.xx.xx.x
imgsrvr.xxx.xxx    imgsrvr

Seems to do the trick.  Over TCP for some reason it can't match the
servername and the IP.  By putting that in it should be ok.

There was one other thing, but I have it on my laptop at home right
now.  I can see if there was additional stuff, but I think that did the
trick for us.

Heath Henderson
Assistant Technology Administrator
McLean County Unit 5 Schools
Normal, IL 61761

>>> jim at winonacotter.org 9/29/2004 1:18:41 PM >>>
> When I try to connect from an OSX Mac (OSX 10.2.5), I get
>
> Connection Failed
> This file server is running on your machine....................

I have experienced this and even fixed it.....but I can't for the life
of me remember off hand what the problem was.  If I am able to jog my
memory at all I will post immediately.  For all I know my solution was
to re-install everything.

While typing I am thinking it was a problem with AFP over TCP.  I may
be
off base here but I think I had a problem with a load balanced NIC
setup
and it kept loosing its IP information.  So Appletalk would attempt to
connect over TCP and then default to strict AFP and then I would get
that error.

Call me crazy but check your NIC configurations and verify TCP stuff.

If things clear up in this foggy space I refer to as my brain I'll
post
again.

---