[K12OSN] Suggested IP subnet Schemes & other migration mess

Burroughs, Henry HBurroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Wed Apr 6 02:15:01 UTC 2005

I am looking to subnet my network this summer into several VLANs.  What IP address schemes are people using/suggest (I was thinking 10.142.[0-10].*), with the [0-10] number corresponding w/ VLAN #)?  For all those non thin-client boxes on your network (ie: Windows workstations) do you use static or DHCP addresses?

Do you use an internal only DNS scheme (like .ltsp, .local, etc) w/ or without dynamic DHCP updates (if no dynamic updates, did you just load generic entries like "dhcp-2-118" for 10.142.2.118)?

For all those evil Windows 98 clients on the network, and suggestions or tips about using WINS (btw, I currently have an Active Directory server that I want to migrate to SAMBA/LDAP)?

My first VLAN attempts ended up with the 98 clients not seeing my Samba servers (even though I told them to report to the AD WINS server), and my own FC2 system not doing LDAP queries properly over the subnet (really, really slow)... yes, I use AD ldap directly on my system.

Also, can I have a Samba PDC on the same subnet as a AD Domain Controller (different domains of course)?

aaaaggh!

Henry Burroughs
Technology Director
Hilton Head Preparatory School