[K12OSN] IceWM, Gnome & Nautilus FRUSTRATIONS

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Thu Apr 28 04:34:54 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 09:14 +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 09:24 -0700, richard ingalls wrote:
> > Can anyone help me get IceWM working WITH the desktop
> > icons and file manager, etc.?  Can anyone help me get
> > GNOME working?
>
> In 3.1.2 IceWm manager version was launched with nautilus so that
> desktop and icons would be there. The current version of IceWM does not
> automatically launch nautilus.

Rather than launch nautilus to get icons (it's a resource hog and kind
of counters the purpose of running a light-weight WM like IceWM) have
you checked out iDesk?  It puts icons on desktops of light-weight WMs:

http://idesk.sourceforge.net/download.html

Haven't tried it myself, but screenshots look promising.  I switched to
XFce instead of IceWM because I reckon it has more pizazz out of the two
- and nautilus didn't load by default :-).  Since then, I've just got
used to the absence of desktop icons and haven't felt the need to play
with iDesk, myself.  Mind you, I feel left out when Joe Blow talks about
clicking on the default xxx icon, etc.  Sob.

Curious if it could be part of K12LTSP instead of launching nautilus, or
are there known problems with it?

--
Regards,
        Gavin Chester