[K12OSN] evolution

Gideon Romm ltsp at symbio-technologies.com
Mon Apr 4 14:15:34 UTC 2005

I don't know if this helps at all, but thought I'd throw it out there:

Evolution keeps its settings in two places:

1.  ~/evolution  (which become .evolution in 2.0)
2.  ~/.gconf/apps/evolution

In order for the magic migration wizard to work, you have to make sure
that you preserve these two folders during an upgrade.  If and only if
these two folders are preserved, when you launch Evo 2.0, it will
convert everything perfectly.

The biggest gotcha is that if you keep the entire .gconf directory, it
will screw up Gnome as it upgrades to the newer version.  So, I would
suggest writing a little script that moves the .gconf directory to
.gconf.old, and then copies ~/.gconf.old/apps/evolution to
~/.gconf/apps/evolution with the user's permissions.

HTH,

-Gideon

PS:  gconf settings get read in upon login, so make sure all users are
logged out during this migration.

Gideon Romm | Product R&D gideon at symbio-technologies.com

Symbio Technologies                     o:(914) 576-1205
134 North Ave, Suites E&F               f:(914) 576-0944
New Rochelle, NY 10801                  c:(914) 774-4691

                www.symbio-technologies.com
                    www.thesymbiont.com