[K12OSN] Which server would you prefer?

Jeff Nelson jeffnels at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 00:51:03 UTC 2005

Not to dash your plans, but you probably won't be able to run Windows
XP, either, on your Quad P-Pro, especially if you want it serving out
multiple client desktops.

I think the others who have suggested setting up the Proliant Quad
P-Pro as a file server are right on.

If that were a Quad P-III, it might be a tossup between that and the
P-IV.  But don't forget the P-Pro is a full three generations (maybe
four, depending on how you count) older!  It's more than an order of
magnitude slower, and the four processors don't together add up to
much.

I actually run several Proliants (P-II and III class), and they are
very reliable machines.  Also had a Pentium Pro (180MHz) desktop that
was in use as a server for more than five years.  Finally replaced it
when it started choking on our Mailman lists.

Jeff