[K12OSN] SATA hot-swap, hotplug, etc

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Mon Aug 8 17:08:34 UTC 2005

I've gotten myself a new server w/ 4 250 Gig SATA drives, all of which
are in a hot-swap bay.  3 of the drives are a raid mirror (no spares),
so I can remove a drive each week (This is my backup server).  I use
software raid, and have successfully failed the drives, and used the
echo "scsi remove-single-device 1 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi format to
remove and of course add new drives.  However, the new drive typically
does not become say /dev/sdb again, it takes /dev/sde... any help on
controlling this?

Henry