[K12OSN] mac OS X and win2003 and LTSP integration

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sat Aug 27 15:15:02 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Saturday, August 27, 2005 at 2:10 AM +0000 wrote:
>I had not thought of the separate vlan option to segregate the LTSP from
>the rest of the LAN ... might be an option if the Mac OS X dhcp cannot
>be configured to pass on the option root-path

Joe....Mac OS X simply needs to be "on" in order for the Mac auth stuff to
work....it does not have to be doing anything or serving any IP's.  You
can have it serving IP's off a NIC that's not connected to anything for
example....I have a school that uses an E-Smith (SME server 6.01) box as
the DHCP server yet the Macs (this is Maine...we have Mac laptops for
every 7th and 8th grader in the state) authenticate and pull "profiles"
etc via LDAP and OD from an Xserve running OS X server.  So you can have
your cake and eat it too.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School