[K12OSN] K12LTSP...My Opinion

Paul VanGundy vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us
Sun Dec 4 05:40:33 UTC 2005

WARNING: The following is my opinion and is based off of my
experiences :)

All,

I am finding that K12LTSP is quite exceptional at the primary education
level. The games and applications available to students at that age are
broad and deep. However, I am finding that K12LTSP isn't very robust for
our high school level students. K12LTSP is quite "kiddish" to most of
our high school students as they see TuxPaint, TuxType and the Mr.
Potato Head type games. Granted, I can deselect the packages that I
don't wish to be installed but then what am I left with? LTSP.

I am currently getting Ubuntu LTSP up and running and it is going very
well. I believe that Ubuntu LTSP will fit in quite well in our high
school (besides, I like debian based distros GO APT-GET! :)) as I will
then install and configure applications that will meet the needs of our
high school students.

Why am I even emailing this you may ask? I am curious as to other users
experience with K12LTSP in their high schools...or even if any of you
use it in your high schools. I hear of it being used a lot in the
elementary and middle school levels. Granted, I have been to Exeter, NH
where they use it in one of their high schools but it resembles LTSP
more than K12LTSP. Those that have Linux in your high schools, do you do
stand alones, LTSP, or K12LTSP? Thanks.

-Paul

--
Paul VanGundy