[K12OSN] OT: Hardware Hacking: Share one UPS between two computers

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Dec 18 19:12:53 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 12:07, Peter Hartmann wrote:
> I'm looking to share an APC UPS between to computers with USB in a DIY
> fashion. Can't I just splice 2 A male connectors (leaving the 5v +
> unconnected) with a female A connector? To be more specific I mean to
> connect all the pin 2s to each other; all the pin 3s to each other;
> all the pin 4's to each other and leave all the pin 1s unconnected.
> I'm trying the UPS to signal the shutdown without networking because
> one computer is in the dmz and the other is the LTSP server.

That might work with a standard serial port where the ups software
just watched the CD lead to become active but I don't think
you can do it with USB.  Maybe you could just connect to your
inside machine and add something in the shutdown sequence to
ssh a shutdown command to the dmz box.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com