Re: [K12OSN] New amer.com switch troubles

This happened to us a year ago. We had a 150' cable run to a sr24g2 all worked well (1000mb connection) for a few months then I lost connection to server. I disconected the server and plugged in a laptop and had 100mb connection to the switch. I connected the server to another switch and and had 1000mb connection. We moved the server into the same room as the switch all was back to normal. We are now back to using fiber between all buildings but I think what happened last year was water got into the conduit and the 1000mb copper connection needs pristine conditions where the 100mb was more forgiving. Just a guess though.

NONE NONE wrote:

Hello,

I just got the new amer.com switches and hooked them all up, and now things aren't working. I have checked all the connections, it's wired correctly, but none of the student pcs will boot to linux anymore.

Here is the setup:

Server goes into port 1 of sgd8 (8x1000meg ports)
Port 2 of sgd8 goes into port 25 of sr24g2 (24*100meg, 2*1000meg)
Various ports from 1-24 of sr24g2 go into the student pcs

One problem I can see is that the connection from the server into the sgd8 is listed as 100meg on the switch itself, even though the server can put out 1000meg. I think maybe the card in the server is configured to put out something wrong. How can I check what it is putting out and how can I change it? I assume it should be putting out 1000meg full duplex. Here is what ethtool says:

       Supported ports: [ TP ]
       Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                               100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                               1000baseT/Full
       Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
       Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                               100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                               1000baseT/Full
       Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
       Speed: 100Mb/s
       Duplex: Full
       Port: Twisted Pair
       PHYAD: 0
       Transceiver: internal
       Auto-negotiation: on
       Supports Wake-on: umbg
       Wake-on: g
       Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
       Link detected: yes

I tried running this:

ethtool -s eth0 duplex full speed 1000

But ethtool still says the same thing as pasted above, and the switch still says 100meg speed. Also, all of the lights on the switches are just flashing like crazy.

Thank you for any help, it is much appreciated! And merry christmas!