[K12OSN] Installing Linux Options

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Fri Feb 18 04:35:47 UTC 2005

I find the easiest way is to do NFS installs.  You need to make sure nfs
is installed and running on your system....then create a directory such as
 /images    then enter something like the following line to /etc/exports

/images 10.0.0.234/255.255.240.0(rw,insecure,sync,no_root_squash)

then...either reboot or run   exportfs -av

to get the ISO files into the directory....example   mkdir
/images/k12ltsp42   then simply cd to /images/k12ltsp42 and and run   wget
ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/4.2.0/iso/*   (or something like
that)

Then once the ISO's are in there....you'll need to burn a copy of disc 1

To install via NFS....put in disc one of K12LTSP 4.2 or whatever distro
you'll be installing....at the boot:  type in

linux askmethod

answer the questions....when you get to the appropriate screen select
"NFS"....on the next screen type in the name or IP of the NFS
server....and on the next line type the path...such as  /images/k12ltsp42

then the installer will run and you'll be in business!  (You can remove
the CD at this point)

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Thursday, February 17, 2005 at 7:27 PM +0000 wrote:
>This has already been addressed for K12LTSP, which means any other Red
>Hat / Fedora distro as well.
>
>If you want to do standalone workstations, two other excellent distros
>for this are Slackware and SuSE.  I haven't yet learned how to do a
>network install of Slackware, but here's how to do it for SuSE Linux.
>I'll use v9.1 as an example, though these same instructions apply for
>v9.2 as well.  Of course, this would be in addition to having the kids
>do FTP or NFS installs of K12LTSP.
>
>Make an anonymous FTP server; I use vsftpd for this.  Copy all your
>files from the CDs (there are five of them) or DVD to some directory on
>this FTP server.  I use /ftp/pub/suse/i386/9.1.  Grab the "FTP Install"
>ISO image, which lives in the boot/ directory under this tree.  The file
>is called "boot.iso".  Burn this to a bunch of CD-ROMs and have your
>kids boot off of these CD-ROMs.  The only thing you'll need to know is
>what kind of NIC you have, for you will need to select the manual
>install and load your NIC driver.  Once you do that, you just keep
>going, tell it you want to do a network install, and that you want to
>use FTP.  Pop in the /ftp/pub/suse/i386/9.1 path when it asks you where
>to install from, and off you'll go!
>
>Having your kids do more than one distro will help them nail down some
>of the concepts better.  They will also see that one distro does this
>better, another does this better, and this one over here might have this
>other focus.  This kind of knowledge is a good thing.
>
>--TP

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School