[K12OSN] Yum, Up2date, Apt on FC3

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Feb 24 19:08:52 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 11:41, richard ingalls wrote:

> I have to use a proxy (a RH8 box in my room) using
> squid, squidguard and dansguardian... BUT with the
> older RH8 boxes, when I installed them, during the
> configuration process, it would ask the gateway (which
> is my proxy) and that was all that i needed to do.
> Apt & synaptic & yum simply worked without any special
> configs.  What is different with FC3?
>
> What must I do to make apt, yum, up2date work through
> a proxy on FC3?

Programs that don't have their own setup (and some that do) usually
observer the http_proxy and ftp_proxy environment variables.  You
could set these in /etc/profile if you want.  Apt has it's
own place in the apt.conf - I'm not sure about up2date.  I normally
use yum and take advantage of the shell's ability to export
variables for a single command when you set them in the command line.

Something like:
http_proxy=http://my_proxy:port ftp_proxy=$http_proxy yum update
should work.  I usually do it often enough that I can recall the
command from history with ^r and typing part of 'proxy'.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com