[K12OSN] Installing using disk image WinXP pro

Yancey B. Jones ybjones at one.net
Sun Feb 27 00:47:01 UTC 2005

> Sysprep is your best bet but if I recall, you have to have a
> volume licensed CD to install XP because of the registration
> issues.  And with MS's new "checks" for pirated software, you
> may have issues updating the imaged machines.

A VL is NOT required to use Sysprep. It is a tool for system builders as
well as VL deployment. Do not activate the system before running Sysprep.
Also, I have found that some managed antivirus software (Trend-Micro
specifically) does not like to be preinstalled before a ghost. Just push it
out from the server afterward. Also, Norton's newer personal AV software
requires activation as well so a preintall may require special steps. Make
sure you are using the latest Sysprep version that works with SP2.

After running sysprep and the system shuts down, ghost the drive. When the
system comes back up you will be asked to enter the computer name, CD-Key
etc. You can create answer files but that gets more involved and I think it
is too far off topic in this group (this is definitely stretching it if not
too over the line).

You would not need ghost either. If the drives are the same then dd or g4u
(http://public.www.planetmirror.com/pub/g4u/) should work also.

-Yancey