[K12OSN] backuppc

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Feb 2 21:48:11 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 15:26, Dale Sykora wrote:

> 	Thanks for the pointer.  I was able to compile par2 from the source you
> mentioned.  I have a few more questions and we can take this offlist (if
> that is more appropriate).  Can I have more than 1 backup schedule per
> host?  For instance, I have a host with 2 data areas.  One data area is
> changed often and I would like daily full/hourly incremental schedule.
> The second data area changes less often and I would like weekly
> full/daily incremental.  Is this possible?

You have to make these look like 2 different machines with different
names in the hosts file, but use $Conf{ClientNameAlias} to specify
the 'real' name in the per-pc config file. That way you can have
different configurations that go to different areas of the same machine.
On the other hand, unless the less-frequently changing part is huge it
probably wouldn't hurt that much to include it every time if you
use rsync for the backup method.

> The other question is what
> appears to be a day light savings time bug.  Notice the time difference
> reported for full start and incremental started back to.

I think that basing incrementals on a time 1 hour before the last
full is intentional, just to avoid any race condition.  It also
doesn't matter much if you use rsync as the backup method because
it will catch any files that didn't exist in the previous full
regardless of the timestamp.  With tar or smb, incrementals
are based only on the timestamp.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com