[K12OSN] I need to make Flash work faster....wanna pitch

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jan 12 17:56:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 11:10, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> This clears some things up for me.  I was under the assumption that
> "local apps" meant they were loaded on a local HD.  I will have to give
> this more thought as I have some clients with wasted processing power
> and RAM, it would make sense to take some load off of the server and put
> that on the clients.
>
> Can you turn on local apps specific to each client based on their
> individual specs?  Lets say I have 20 low end pc's that run everything
> from the server, but one or two are 1ghz+ with 512mb RAM and I want to
> run 3 or 4 apps locally on these.

X in general will let you run anything from anywhere either with
it's own $DISPLAY concept or ssh forwarding.  The hard part is
deciding where the window manager should run and then getting
the remote apps into the menu there.  Maybe the menu launchers
could be modified to use something in the environment to decide
if a application should be run on the same machine as the WM,
on an app server, or back as a local app on your client.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com