Re: [K12OSN] Sound AGAIN! RealPlayer 10

If you are having mozilla crashes with mplayer on fedora check out:

http://www.thesymbiont.com/index.php?module=documents&JAS_DocumentManager_op=viewDocument&JAS_Document_id=26

and

http://delrusso.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=41

-Gideon

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 11:30, dahopkins comcast net wrote:
Sound has never worked well for me in any configuration.  That said,

> why is everyone so set on esd? I have K12LTSP 4.1 (based on FC2) I'm
> using nasd and sound works for everything....flash, mozilla, realplayer
> 10, etc. All I had to do was enable it in lts.conf

For me, nasd has serious lags with video (2-4 seconds is typical).  esd doesn't lag, but does get garbled and doesn't work at all with Realplayer 10.  Realplayer 8 does work with esd.  Sound is a continuing 'thorn in my side'.  I have MPlayer and this regularly crashes Mozilla.  There isn't much happiness at NCS wrt sound/video right now.

> >In K12LTSP 4.2.0 sound works ok at the thin clients if I choose ESD as
> >sound system in lts.conf, set sound system in X to ESD and also in e g
> >the
> >options to XMMS.
> >
> >But: I have not managed to get RealPlayer 10 to make any sound. I get the
> >error: "Error: Cannot open the audio device. Another application may be
> >using it."
> >
> >Will it at all be possible to get RealPlayer 10 to work at the thin
> >clients?

As above, it appears that RealPlayer 10 will not work with esd.  Try RP 8 (or maybe 9).

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins