[K12OSN] OT: best distro for laptop

I'm asking this off-topic question because I trust the opinions of those on this list.  The laptop in question is my sister's.  It's currently dual-booting Windows XP and Mandrake 10.0, but the wireless config under Windows ate itself.  If I can get wireless working under Linux, that's what she'll use.  Mandrake is on there just because it's my default choice, but I'm open to anything.

In particular I'm looking for good power management tools.  If the distro comes standard with them, great.  Or if somebody could recommend an add-on package that will work w/ Mandrake or something else, that would be great too.  I'd like perhaps to have an ever-present battery monitor.  What else is important?  (I don't own a laptop myself, so I don't really know what to ask for).

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Rob

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.