[K12OSN] Active Directory - SMB/LDAP Switch

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Jul 13 14:34:48 UTC 2005

> I'm writing this e-mail to the list to serve as a heads up to
> other people who might be looking to make this switch in the
> future. We switched from a Windows 2000 Active Directory
> setup that has been in place for ~4 years.

Thanks for the tips!  I might use your roaming profile tweaks.  I want
to avoid the transfer of data files back and forth on login as well.

I have had the same thoughts on laptops here as well.  At least with
Windows you have the option to let the roaming profile transfer locally
when your offsite.  But, most of our laptops are OSX, and I have no idea
how to copy a roaming users profile to a local user for when they are
offsite.  So I will be setting up local accounts on the laptops and
using shortcuts like you suggest to connect to the servers.  I was even
thinking of instead of full roaming just NFS or SMB mounting the
/home/username folder on startup and pointing the shortcut to it.  Not
sure which way would be best.