[K12OSN] I need opinions....backup idea for when Terminal server down and

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 16:22:22 UTC 2005

--- David Trask <dtrask at vcsvikings.org> wrote:

> "Support list for opensource software in schools."
> <k12osn at redhat.com> on
> Saturday, July 9, 2005 at 1:10 PM +0000 wrote:
> >Also, I thought you were using rdesktop to access a
> Win2K server for
> >some apps.
>
> I do...unfortunately though if the clients don't
> boot I can't use rdesktop
>  :-)

If you could get by with only Windows Terminal
Services for a day or so, do you think that a standard
desktop-class machine would be good enough to act as a
backup LTSP machine for all your clients?  You could
set SCREEN_01 = rdesktop and not have a screen for
startx.

Just make sure the Windows Terminal Servers are loaded
with OpenOffice, GIMP, Firefox, etc. so that the users
can still use "Linux applications".

-Rob