[K12OSN] No Volume Control Elements and/or devices found

Jesse McDonnell jessemcdonnell at comcast.net
Mon Jul 18 17:46:13 UTC 2005

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:24:40 -0500
Mark Cockrell <cockrell at honeygroveisd.net> wrote:

> Gadi,
>     Thanks for responding, but that entirely correct.  The server DOES
> have a sound card and sound works well at the server.  However, there is
> no sound of any kind on the terminals.  When I login at a terminal using
> KDE the error message is "device /dev/dsp can't be opened (permission
> denied)."  Does that give anyone more to work with?

Mark,

Check your permissions on /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. If your user doesn't have rw permission you will get permission denied.
As root, chmod u+rw /dev/dsp /dev/mixer will get the permissions correct and should get rid of the error message.

Jesse McDonnell

PS: I have found that, at least for Realplayer, even when permissions are correct, I *still* have to first run Realplayer once as root before it will work for users.