[K12OSN] root on terminals

Jon Spriggs jon.spriggs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 10:16:48 UTC 2005

There isn't particularly any reason to not log in as root, the
"danger" aspect is more that you can inadvertantly delete files you
shouldn't and you can also execute untrustworth scripts and binaries
logged in as root.

When you say "terminals" do you mean a virtual terminal (i.e.
shift-alt-f2) or an x-term, or perhaps logging out of X? Perhaps you
should check /var/log/messages to see if there's anything going on in
there?

What happens when the crash happens? Do you lose keyboard and mouse
what processes are running with a tool like ps or top?

Jon

On 21/06/05, Peter Hartmann <ascensiontech at gmail.com> wrote:
> This could be a really silly question. But, is logging in as root or
> su on the terminals bad.  The server has crashed when doing this
> perhaps when when I just close the xterm window instead of exiting
> root.  Wha'da ya say?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Jon "Four Star Gun" Spriggs AKA