[K12OSN] SME port forward problem

Randall Swift swift at msad52.k12.me.us
Fri Jun 24 18:45:36 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Friday, June 24, 2005 at 1:06 PM +0000 wrote:
>I just returned from the LINUX symposium (GREAT INFO) with a Moodle
>server and a SME firewall.  I've installed the firewall and moodle
>server, but I'm unable to reach the moodle box through the fire wall.
>Details listed below:
>
>SME Firewall: 169.244.106.253 = connection to the Internet
>	      192.168.0.1 = DHCP & DNS server
>
>  Port forward rule: Protocal=TCP
>                     Source Port=2727
>		     Destination Host IP Address=192.168.0.3
>		     Destination Port=80
>
>Moodle box: 192.168.0.3
>
>I've rebooted the SME Firewall after making port forwarding rules.  When
>I type http://169.244.106.253 (I get "website under construction") so I
>know I can talk to the SME box over the Internet.  When I type
>http://169.244.106.253:2727 or http://169.244.106.253:2727/moodle into
>the URL firefox times out.
>
>I can reach Moodle from inside the firewall by typing
>http://192.168.0.3/moodle.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Larry

Have you made an alias through MSLN for the address 169.244.106.253:2727
so that it will direct itself to your firewall? It will also take a little
while for all the DNS servers in the "real world" to update. You get an
"under construction" message with the 169.244.106.253 address because that
is the built in webpage on the SME box and of course you have not done
anything with that. Hope this helps

Randy Swift
Network Administrator
Leavitt Area High School