[K12OSN] Release dates
eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Jun 27 05:53:30 UTC 2005
I have mentioned that I'm shooting for a July 4th release date for
K12LTSP 4.2.1EL and 4.4.0.
At this point, I think I *could* make that target, but it would be
better if we don't. Symbolically the 4th of July makes a nice release
date, but from a quality assurance perspective it would be better
to wait until the week after.
I'm leaving for vacation on Tuesday and won't be back until July 4th.
I have obligations on July 8th->11th that won't leave me much time
for working on K12LTSP.
I'd have to slave all day and night on Monday to finish them up
and then hope no serious problems were reported while I was gone.
Then I'd have to do a release & immediately drop back off the Net.
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
I vote that we do this instead:
* I don't work like a dog on Monday, leave for a week, do a
new release, then leave again for three days.
* The current builds of K12LTSP 4.2.1EL & 4.4.0 are declared "near
production ready", likely to be safe to use on pre-production
* As many people as possible test them out, report any and all bugs
* On July 5th/6th/7th, I'll fix whatever bugs are reported. If at
all possible, bug fixes will apply cleanly from the apt/yum/up2date
repositories (i.e. if you install the current beta builds you
should not be required to reinstall for the final release)
* If all the bugs are fixed, I'll upload final release candidates
on July 6th or 7th.
* If no show stoppers are found, we'll do the final release
between the 12th & 16th.
More information about the K12OSN