[K12OSN] Hardware questions

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Jun 30 17:11:16 UTC 2005

I suggest, if possible, getting more RAM; go to 4GB if you can. The rule of thumb for
memory is 100MB per user,  With 20-25 users, you're already at or over the line, and
that's not even counting some RAM for the basic OS stuff.  If going to 4GB breaks your
budget, consider getting just two drives, instead of three, in a RAID1 (mirrored)
configuration.  You won't have as much disk space, but that will only eventually,
gradually become a problem; insufficient RAM will be a problem right from the start.  I
would think you'd be able to get through a year with just two disks, and if they do
start getting full, you can budget for additional or bigger disks next year.  After a
year of use, the people in charge will understand the idea that the disks might be
filling up.

Petre