[K12OSN] Help design a new elementary school!

Joseph Morelock morelocj at canby.k12.or.us
Thu Mar 10 18:42:53 UTC 2005

Joseph,

You have to look at building design for sustainability in the long run.
Being that this building will last 80 years or so into the future,
there is no way to know what kind of connectivity will be in use 10,
20, or 50 years in the future. You have to think of terms of building
usage. How will people live and work in this building? Will walls be
open and movable, or will you create 900 sq. ft. classrooms?

We are currently in the design phase for a new middle school, and some
of the considerations being made include:

1.	How do we support the use of thin-client systems in every room?

We want to make connectivity pervasive in all spaces, so we are
planning for a minimum of 4 LTSP terminals connected in every classroom
at all times. That is beyond the wiring (Cat-6a) that we will include
for other uses (see below). Also, our IDF closets need to have enough
capacity for both wires and servers, with proper cooling systems that
are separate from the main HVAC systems. Since we are going with a
2-story building design, we have "stacked" the IDF's above each other,
in order to conserve pathway and make it easier to do
who-knows-what-in-30-years in those closets later. We also installed
windows (no, not M$ windoze) in order for the students to be able to
see the systems that they use each day when they connect. We did that
in the high school recently, and the kids really dig it. Also, make
sure that your MDF has proper cooling and enough EMPTY conduit from
both the outside world, as well as, an empty one to each IDF for future
wire pulls.

2.	How do we support wireless connectivity in every place on campus?

All of our school buildings are wireless now (and have been for several
years), and we see no reason not to continue that paradigm. We are
moving in the direction of Apple iBooks for laptops, and K12LTSP for
our wired workstations. For our wireless infrastructure, we are going
to place network jacks and electrical outlets next to each other, above
the ceiling tile (yes, I know about PoE) in several locations in the
building. In fact, we are overlapping in our design, as we do not know
what building aspects will create interference with the stations. Also,
those stations will run on their "own" network, so as to isolate
problems more quickly (think: rogue laptops).

3.	How do we mix local and centrally-managed video distribution in
every teachable space (classrooms, cafeteria, media center)?

In every classroom and other teachable space, we are including: voice
amplification systems (Lightspeed), video projectors (instead of
televisions), Cat-6a connections for the projectors, to use in a future
capacity, and video/audio "mixers" for each space We will use those to
connect the sound from the voice systems, the VCR/DVD, and the
teacher's terminal...and the video from those sources, as well as what
might come across the Cat-6a in the future. We believe that the
convergence of video and data will happen (voice & data already have),
and that we will be able to deliver video across the data connections
we already installed.

I hope that helps start you on the path...sorry for being so wordy...

Joe