[K12OSN] Squid Question

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Mar 24 21:55:43 UTC 2005

> Feel free to use the how-to I wrote up for our library system
> here in louisiana to get some info. It contains the step by
> step instructions on how I setup squidguard to replace our
> Iprism web filter.
> http://www.vermilion.lib.la.us/sysadminsite/squidguard/
> It may have some information that could help out in any way
> you choose to go.

I've used IP Cop in the past with Dansguardian which worked fine.  But
now I may be posed with a scenario that calls on a new solution.

Next year I'll have a K12LTSP box with SAMBA/LDAP setup to run
authentication for Linux Terminals, OSX, and Windows 2000/XP.
Everything will require logins based on users from the SAMBA/LDAP setup.
Now as far as content filtering goes we are looking towards a system
that will require users to login before accessing the internet at all
(or at least pull the current user from the machine).  Then I need it to
hand out custom filtering based off the user group they are assinged to
in the SAMBA/LDAP.  So if student1 logs into any machine on campus
before they can browse any page on the internet they either login as
student1 or the content filter pulls the information from the machine
and automatically knows student1 is logged in.  Then I need it to look
at student1 and see they are in the Students group and hand out the
filtering rules that apply to the Students group.  Or if teacher1 logs
in hand out rules for the Teacher group, etc.

Then if at all possible I want the ability to break down logs by user
and find out each specific users activity.  I may need to know only
attempts to access offending sites, but I may need to be able to find
out every site student1 accessed on a given day.

If anyone has a solution that provides this please let me know.  I don't
really care what distribution it is based off of or what hardware
requirements are.  I just want a Open Source solution that works.

Thanks