[K12OSN] Squid Question

Tim Kaldahl tkaldahl at maplewoodacademy.org
Thu Mar 24 18:19:39 UTC 2005

On Thursday 24 March 2005 09:55 pm, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> 've used IP Cop in the past with Dansguardian which worked fine.  But
> now I may be posed with a scenario that calls on a new solution.
>
> Next year I'll have a K12LTSP box with SAMBA/LDAP setup to run
> authentication for Linux Terminals, OSX, and Windows 2000/XP.
> Everything will require logins based on users from the SAMBA/LDAP setup.
> Now as far as content filtering goes we are looking towards a system
> that will require users to login before accessing the internet at all
> (or at least pull the current user from the machine).

IPCOP 1.4.x has an advanced proxy addon that can authenticate against LDAP,
Active Directory, or a local database. Unfortunately it won't work with COP+.

I personally was not able to get it to authenticate against my AD, but I
didn't have any time to play, and really am not that experienced with Linux
networking.

I have noticed that when COP+ can't update its blacklists it seems to take the
whole proxy server down.

FWIW

Tim Kaldahl
Maplewood Academy