[K12OSN] Sound on terminals, Was: XKB Error

Trond Mæhlum trond at mahlum.biz
Tue Mar 29 12:34:57 UTC 2005

man, 28,.03.2005 kl. 19.59 -0800, skrev Eric Harrison:

> Perhaps this should be the "long thread of the day"...
>
> If you have remote sound working:
>
>   * are you using ESD or NASD?
>   * what applications work, which don't?
>   * did you have to make any changes from the default?
>   * other tips and tricks?

I have sound working with NASD. I am using icewm and we use *arts* for
sound in mplayer an other programs - not oss. I added artsd
to /etc/profile.d/ltsp-esound.sh like so:

 nasd)
            #
            # Lets do a better job of environment checking here so we
dont goof up
            # sound for the user when logged into the server machine or
when you
            # login as root.
            #
            PRELOAD_LIBS="/lib/libaudiooss.so.1.0"
            export_libs
            export AUDIOSERVER="$DISPLAY"
            #
            # Uncomment the following to enable this to work with "wine"
            # This also works well with the Linux ICA client.

             export AUDIOOSS_WINE_HACK="y"
            /usr/bin/artsd -r 11025 &
;;

I have sound in everyting I have tried. Firefox (Flash), Xmms, mplayer
and even in Windowsapplications using wine. I had to experiment with the
sampling rate as any higher than 11025 gave clicking sounds. But after
all, I'm not using the terminals as a stereo.

Regards

Trond Mæhlum