[K12OSN] Squid and dansguardian

Lee Myrick lee at renarts.org
Tue Mar 1 02:53:26 UTC 2005

Hello all,

Okay, I just got our k12ltsp network setup and running (woohoo!
pictures can be found at http://renarts.org/technology.php ).

Now I'm on to part two of the project: We currently have a dsl line
coming in for internet access (works fine with the server just setup
for dhcp connection). Now I want to setup Squid and Dansguardian. From
what I've read on this list, it seems the best way to do this is with a
separate box. I have an extra Compaq PIII box that should work. I'd
also like this box to be an mail server if possible.

I'm not new to Linux, but I'm new to a project this large, so forgive
me if I'm asking newbie questions: I'm trying to get the physical
configuration down as I haven't seen any talk about this part of
setting up a proxy box.

Question 1: Does the squid/dansguardian box need two nics? One for dsl
in and one out to ltsp server?

Question 2: Is it feasible to do squid/ dansguardian and a mail/ftp
server on the same box?

thanks,

Lee Myrick
Information Technology Coordinator