[K12OSN] Windows Users changing password or not as the case may be

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Tue Mar 8 16:08:09 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tuesday, March 8, 2005 at 8:27 AM +0000 wrote:
>Cool....I read up on it a bit....now for another test request.  Assuming
>that you can change both passwords from Windows....I'd like you to test
>the Linux side of things.  As an ordinary user (you'll need to log in as
>one) can you change the passwords using ./smbldap-passwd ?  I suspect not,
>but would be happy if you can.  If not...I may have a fix...it'll involve
>some ACL stuff in smbldap.conf and another "security accounts" LDIF....but
>it should be easy to add in.  Let me know and I'll go further into it.

Never mind...I tested it myself and in the process developed the "fix" I
mentioned above.  I sent it to Matt for his opinion and then I'll turn it
loose on you guys.  As Chuck mentioned...there is a bug in the
smbldap-installer script....it's an easy fix and we'll post a new version
shortly with the fix.  All you need to do is go to /ect/samba   and edit
the smb.conf file   comment out the line that says   unix password sync =
yes     That will allow Windows users to now be able to change passwords
from within Windows using CTRL-ALT-DEL "Change Password".

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us