[K12OSN] Samba/OpenLDAP or MS ADS (or maybe NDS)...

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Thu May 5 14:52:15 UTC 2005

jhansknecht at hanstech.com on Wed May  4 2005 at 15:49 +0000 wrote:
>OK, we are finally going to replace our WindowsNT domain which is our
>current
>authentication method for Windows and LTSP clients. I am currently
>evaluating
>the options. I have a couple of specific questions regarding the
>Samba/OpenLDAP solutions.
>First, the following I believe are correct statements. Please let me know
>if I
>am wrong on any of them
>Samba / Open LDAP will:
>1) Allow computers running Windows XP Prof to 'join the domain'

yes....I run XP pro, but it will also do 2000 as well

>2) Authenticate users logging in from Windows XP Prof. clients.

Definitely...after all you joined the domain above

>3) Handle providing a logon script to Users logging on From Windows XP
>Prof
>clients

Yes....in addition to roaming profiles if you wish you can also map
directories....I map the users /home directory to drive S: as a netlogon
script...easy to do and all outlined in the how-to I wrote.

>4) Handle mapping to profile server for roaming profiles for Windows XP
>Prof
>clients

Definitely...the smbldap-installer script enables this by default....I've
been doing it for several years now...Samba has been able to do roaming
profiles for at least 5 years now

>But, my question is how do you handle group policies. Is anyone aware of
>tool that will create/apply proper group policy files to use as part of
>this
>Samba / OpenLDAP solution? If not, how are you handling policies? Is it
>working satisfactorily for you?

Don't know....most people get away from using group policies.  Why do you
need policies?  Best method?  Buy DeepFreeze and freeze all the
computers....DeepFreeze rocks....eliminates nearly all your software
support calls....and still allows users to do whatever they want...changes
simply don't stick.  However if they save by logging in to a roaming
profile....anything that's part of that profile....My Documents, Desktop,
Faves...etc.  will be saved on the server.

>--
>
>Thanks,
>
>John

David N. Trask