[K12OSN] SAMBA/LDAP install problems

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Tue May 24 14:17:12 UTC 2005

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I have been following all the instructions at:
> http://web.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/linux/smbldap/
>
> I got to the part to run smbldap-populate (btw, I have 0.8.6 on my
> system as a result of something I did, as running rpm for the downloaded
> 0.8.4 told me that 0.8.6 was already installed).
>
> Of course everything was at /opt/idealx/sbin which I had to explicitly
> enter (not in path).
>
> I got a lot of errors.  Lots of fail to add entries.  I tried to copy
> the messages from termnal to gedit to put in this message, but it seems
> there are special characters in the messages, and paste into gedit files.
>
> What do I do next?

What distro are you using ??

You could try running

smbldap-populate > errors.log

This will push all the errors to a file called errors.log which you can then post to the list

If your doing this as root, try editting /root/.bash_rc to include the path to the idealx scripts so
it reads

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/opt/IDEALX/sbin

Logout and in again and it'll include the idealx scripts (this is a bit of a hack and I'm sure
someone will tell you / me the correct way but it works ;-) )

Brian