[K12OSN] SAMBA/LDAP install problems

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue May 24 15:56:41 UTC 2005

I have attached an error.log generated by using > error.log while rerunning
the command.  Note that none of the error messages made it into the log
(they still went to terminal).

At 10:17 AM 5/24/2005, Brian Chivers wrote:
>Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>I have been following all the instructions at:
>>http://web.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/linux/smbldap/
>>I got to the part to run smbldap-populate (btw, I have 0.8.6 on my system
>>as a result of something I did, as running rpm for the downloaded 0.8.4
>>told me that 0.8.6 was already installed).
>>Of course everything was at /opt/idealx/sbin which I had to explicitly
>>enter (not in path).
>>I got a lot of errors.  Lots of fail to add entries.  I tried to copy the
>>messages from termnal to gedit to put in this message, but it seems there
>>are special characters in the messages, and paste into gedit files.
>>What do I do next?

>What distro are you using ??

Centos 4.0

>You could try running
>
>smbldap-populate > errors.log

I am just a little leary of running the same thing again, but I will.

>This will push all the errors to a file called errors.log which you can
>then post to the list
>
>If your doing this as root, try editting /root/.bash_rc to include the
>path to the idealx scripts so it reads
>
>PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/opt/IDEALX/sbin

Probably should do this before I run all the other idealx functions.

>Logout and in again and it'll include the idealx scripts (this is a bit of
>a hack and I'm sure someone will tell you / me the correct way but it
>works ;-) )

Been too long since I took my Unix course on Solaris 3.0...